Friday, July 2, 2010

HKC and RKC explained

Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about when I mention the HKC and RKC certification programs; and have not yet clicked on a link to discover what they're all about, I thought I'd give you the quick rundown.  HKC stands for Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified, which is a one-day entry level certification as a kettlebell trainer.  The one-day and entry level part are definitely appealing to me, because while I've not only not ever been a trainer of anything physical; for most of my life I've never even been physical.  The concept of exercising regularly is only a very recent addition to my life.  One thing about the HKC that is a bit daunting to me is the test requirement for it: being able to do 5 tactical pull-ups or chin-ups.  Before this year I had not ever done one full chinup, as my strength to bodyweight ratio made it impossible.  Now that I have been getting much stronger and much lighter, I can do solid partials and the occasional full chinup.  I do have a ways to go before being at the requisite level, but I think that by shortly changing my focus on what I'm training then I will be able to accomplish the 5 chinup goal.
The RKC, or Russian Kettlebell Challenge certification workshop is a full 3 day weekend of learning and training.  As a result it is much more advanced and in-depth than an HKC cert.  Not only that, but the cost is obviously much higher due to the increased value, and depending on what early bird discounts you get is going to run you anywhere from 3 to 5+ times the cost of an HKC.  All these factors are steering me towards making the HKC my current goal, though the RKC weekend remains an event I will dream about for the future.  One extremely helpful feature of the HKC cert is that the full cost of it can be put toward an RKC weekend if I do that training within a year of HKC completion.  
The bottom line is that I believe completing these certifications will best enable me to teach others about kettlebells in the most effective way possible.  I will do my very best to ensure my goal of attending them becomes reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment