Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pull Up Update

My progress with pull ups is slow but steady.  I am quite confident in my ability to do "almost one" pull up.  The reason I say "almost" is because I do most of my pull up practice on the kid's play structure in the backyard.  The monkey bar support arms are relatively low, maybe a bit less than 7 feet off the ground.  This means I have developed a strong finish to each pull up - getting my chin over the bar, but I am weak at starting from a full hang (since initially I never did).

 In addition the support arms are rectangular and even the slightly rounded corners dig into my hands pretty good which limits how long I am able to hold on - which is not good if I'm trying to do a flexed arm hang after a couple sets of one pull up.

Travel to a local park and just use the monkey bars there, you might suggest?  Not a bad idea, but that's inconvenient compared to just heading to the backyard as I leave home or return.  Also, have you looked at kid's playground equipment lately?  It seems quite rare to find straight, flat monkey bars anymore.  They are all either circular, arched, wavy, or something else; I guess this makes them more fun somehow to use for the kids?

What is my solution to these dilemmas?  A little DIY of course!  Tomorrow I plan to head over to the local hardware store and grab some lumber and fasteners, a steel pipe, and see what happens.  I don't have super-elaborate plans, what I plan to do is add on to my kids' play structure.  I have assured my wife that I am 99% positive I won't structurally affect the climber.

I will keep you posted and hopefully have some pics if it ends up being functional.  On a handiness scale of 1-10 I would rate myself a 6.5, so I think this will go ok, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment