Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Summer of Pull-Ups

Or chin-ups, I guess.  Because the HKC course has as a requirement 5 tactical pullups/chinups, I am going to start focusing on that as a part of my training.  Before this year I have never, ever been able to do a full chin up.  This has been due to being either too weak or too heavy.  Hmm, I guess probably both.  But since dropping so much weight and working out much more regularly, my strength-to-weight ratio is now such that I can do exactly one on days when I'm well rested and feeling strong.  So, that puts me 20% of the way to my goal.  How exactly I'm going to go the rest of the way I'm not entirely sure.  I will be getting myself on some kind of progression, which one remains to be seen.  All I know for sure is that I will be doing lots of lifting my body off the ground and up to a bar during the next two and a half months.  There is no way I will risk attending the certification without knowing for sure that I can hit six any time I'm asked to.
Do you have any tips for increasing pull-up/chin-up numbers?  What progression or routine worked for you?

1 comment:

  1. Usually once you are able to do 1 full one, more follow shortly. Just keep practicing and greasing the groove and you will be ok.

    Eric Moss RKC

    ReplyDelete