Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The importance of goals

I think that when it comes to fat loss or fitness, goals are extremely important.  I had been unhappy with my weight and body composition for a very long time, and definitely wanted to do something about it, but I never really did.  Goals should be specific, and they need to be measurable.  Right now my two main goals related to fitness are 1) to be able to do five strict pull-ups or chin-ups.  This is a requirement for the HKC course I hope to attend later this year. 2) I would like to lose another 21lbs by September 11th.  That is the date of the course, and while there is no weight requirement, every pound I lose in goal 2 makes it easier to accomplish goal 1.  Note that both are very easily measured - I either will or will not pull my chin up and over a bar five times in a row; the scale either will or will not read 212lbs on that day in September.  There's nothing subjective about them like there could be about something like fitting into a certain pair of pants or looking good on the beach.
Do you have any specific and measurable fitness or weight loss goals?  Has setting such a goal in the past helped you on your path to health and fitness?

No comments:

Post a Comment