Thursday, August 12, 2010

Drink Yourself Thin

When I was in high school I worked at McDonald's.  Say what you want about the quality and/or healthfulness of the food there, I still say it's a great job for a young person.  One thing I often noticed when taking orders was the people (often overweight) who would order a huge super-sized meal....with a diet Coke!  My thought back then was "As if you're on a diet!"

Of course now I am the guy ordering the low cal beverage with my value meals (I much prefer Coke Zero to diet though).

If you are looking to lose fat, one very easy change you can make is to stop drinking your calories!  This is one of the first things I did when I decided to eat less and move more.

Here's a quick look at why this works so well.  Taking my own situation:  Between the three main meals of the day I used to drink some kind of juice, or milk, with each of them.  Let's say I averaged one per meal; so three glasses a day.  Three glasses of those beverages will total about 300 calories (or more). 

Now for some math:
300 calories a day x 30 days a month x 10 months (Oct-Jul) = 90,000 calories!
90,000 / 3500 (The number of calories in a pound of fat) = 25.7

As you can see, making just this one dietary change resulted in over 25 pounds of fat lost for me over the past ten months!  That is nearly half of the 56 that I have now dropped since September '09.  I still have cream (and occasionally sugar) in my coffees, but other than that I don't regularly drink any beverages that contain a significant amount of calories.  I most often choose water, sometimes adding Crystal Light for flavor.

Try making this change if you haven't already, and see what it does for you over the course of a month or more.  Stop drinking yourself fat - drink yourself thin!

No comments:

Post a Comment